Thursday, October 28, 2010

Oh the Wind!!!!

Windy days in Galveston and my walk on the beach with the dogs this morning was cut short because we where literally blowing “in the wind”. Climbed back up on the seawall and the wind had gotten worse and almost knocked my butt back onto the sand!
The power went out over the East end last night as well. Michael has been a witness in a court case in Houston and it’s been dragging over months now and this entire week but he got cut loose for today and is back, until tomorrow when they “promise” he will finally testify and be done…haha sure.

Until then we are trying to play catch up on a few work project we have and of course with work pushed back come financial issues. Thankfully God puts the most amazing people in our path.

So I am looking for any grants for restoring a historic building, building a self sustaining garden, adding solar, wind and water power and water collection to see if there is anything at all to help . We are also looking to finish out the work shop to move work ahead further as that has held us back a lot. So…any advice? Anyone? Good websites to check out? Anything? Clear the crickets please….

On other topics I am now working the administration of Classic Morris Door Restore and things have been looking up business wise which is great…forward moving! The better work does the better the Hughes Restoration does.
People ask what we have done so far or why it’s so slow and my answer is “ projects can only move as fast as our budget”. “sigh”.

However, still making it. My winter garden is basically non-existent due to time and finances. I was gifted a peppermint plant and a couple of basil plants and we have…yes…a pineapple tree/bush whatever growing…and actually so far thriving it seems. I have been playing with a few seeds from back in the Oasis days but so far not much going there. In spring I MUST have it going. I am planning on holding a seedling trade and in the late summer a seed trade of all island gardeners who have plenty to share and swap and most of who throw out their seedlings as they thin them anyways so….help a fellow gardener out!

I am looking for anyone who wants to take me under their wing and walk me through their gardens and garden tips and advice as well….seep in the knowledge! Ok maybe it will rub off on me=)

I have also been pet sitting around the island, not officially a business type as I don’t wish to but instead of ending up collecting strays I now tend to collect pet parents who need sitters=) Well, it’s good though in many ways. I have also begun setting up some social networking for other peoples businesses and that will be good too.

We are also thinning out projects, clutter to work around , stuff we won’t even use for a few years and well, helping finances by holding a huge yard sale this Friday 8-2 and Saturday 8-2 in our yard in the alley that is between market street and post office ( behind market alley) and the cross streets would be 25th and 26th. So park anywhere on those blocks and walk to the alley to shop! We have three project cars (hallelujah we are finally getting rid of some of those!) One I am bummed but…oh well. 1964 mercury comet, 1996 gsx eclipse, 1994 gst eclipse. And we have a 15 foot force five boat. No sail though. And we have over 200 doors of all shapes, sizes , types and ages and conditions for art and table projects to actual door use. We have a lot of mens, womens and even a 9 yr old boys clothes from a cousin and many house hold items. A foose ball table, ping pong table, a table made out of a door and copper that is beautiful, shelves and dog supplies, three saddles , 2 English and good cond and 1 bad cond western. A lot of marble slabs and a couple of benches, planter boxes and a lot of other items. Car engines and parts too. Some costume stuff too.
Might even throw in the husband…=)

So stop by this weekend for sure!

Other than that I think we are heading to about one Halloween party…no costumes I don’t think unless we can dig something out of our own closet. And next weekend is the biker rally weekend…..expect a lot of noise is what I am told.
I am planning to spend Sunday de-cluttering and cleaning and such at Hughes and getting ready for a busy week ahead.


Between stopping by our yard sale, The Antique warehouse that has old, new and remade….and the GHF Salvage Warehouse among others one should make a pretty good treasure hunt weekend. It will be nice to de-clutter items we won’t even use for a few years. I am such a minimalist and Michael such a pack rat….Lord help us!

No comments:

Post a Comment